There are a whole lot of people telling a whole lot of other people Who to pray for right now. Pray for the President, the former President, the Government leaders, the enemies, etc. But what if we take the time to search the Scriptures for who to pray for?
Let’s start with the New Testament and see who for, what, and why we are told to pray. Some may be shocked to find out there are times we are not to pray. Yeah, bet you didn’t see that coming.
Look at 1 John 5:16
If anyone may see his brother sinning a sin [that is] not to death, he will ask, and He will give life to him — to those not sinning to death; there is sin to death — I do not say that he may ask concerning it; all unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin [that is] not to death.1 John 5:16-17 (Literal)
“I do not say that he may ask concerning it.” At this point, it might be good to start finding out what sins lead to death and what sins do not, right?
There is one passage which would be worth reading, comprehending, and using as a template for our prayers in the current political environment.
And being let go, they went to their own friends, and declared whatever the chief priests and the elders said to them, and they having heard, lifted up the voice to God with one accord and said, “Lord, you [are] God, who made the heaven, and the earth, and the sea, and all that [are] in them, who, through the mouth of Your servant David said, Why did nations rage, and peoples meditate vain things? the kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against His Christ; for gathered together of a truth against Your holy child Jesus, whom You anointed, were both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with nations and peoples of Israel to do whatever Your hand and Your counsel determined before to come to pass.
And now, Lord, look on their threatenings, and grant to Your servants to speak Your word with all freedom, in the scratching forth of Your hand, for healing, and signs and wonders, to come to pass through the Name of Your holy child Jesus.Acts 4 (Literal(
We could list all the scriptures but maybe you should do a little digging, testing and proving these yourself. 🙂
- Jesus asked (2065) the father to give us a Comforter.
- Jesus asked (2065) we not be taken out of the word, for protection from the evil one.
- Jesus prayed (2065) for those who belong to him; that God keep them in God’s name that they may be one; keep them from the evil one; sanctify them in the truth; they may be with him where he is, so see his glory.
- Jesus prayed (2065) for those who would belong to Him.
- Jesus said to ask (2065) and His Father will grant.
- Jesus thanked God that he heard him.
- When we are weak, pray (2172) for strengthening and perfecting of our souls.
- Pray believing and it will be granted to you.
- Do not fret or have anxiety about anything, make wants known to God (1162).
- Pray (2172) faith may not fail.
- Pray flight is not in winter.
- Pray (1162) for the thorn in the flesh.
- Give thanks.
- Pray God may make you worthy of his calling and fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so the Lord Jesus is glorified.
- Pray God may open a door to us for the Word, to be clear when speaking.
- Pray for God’s will.
- Pray love abound, fullest development in knowledge, keen insight.
- Pray not to come into temptation.
- One who speaks in a tongue should pray to interpret because the mind is unfruitful.
- Pray (2172/1162) for confessed faults, to be held and restored; for one another.
- Pray (2172) we are proper in every way, body may be well.
- Pray (2172) that you do nothing wrong and continue doing right.
- Pray to receive the Holy Spirit.
- Pray to stand firm and mature, convinced and fully assured in everything willed by God.
- Pray to walk uprightly, clear conscience and live a noble life, acting honorably.
- Pray the Lord to indicate which one of several choices to choose.
- Pray (2065) for a brother sinning, but not for one sinning to death.
- Pray for brothers and sisters in Christ.
- Pray when committing appointed and ordained elders.
- Pray for those laboring in the work of the Lord.
- Give thanks for (4335) and on behalf of brothers and sisters in Christ.
- Pray interceding (1162) in behalf of all the saints.
- Pray over leaders before sending out and over people commissioned to fill certain needs.
- Pray the word of the Lord may spread ahead and be honored. They may be delivered from wicked and evil men.
- Pray to drive out spirits.
- Pray for enemies; for those who accuse you falsely and persecute you.
- Pray for happiness of those who curse you, God’s blessing upon those who abuse you.
- Pray that others be filled with knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom & understanding so to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, pleasing him, bearing fruit in good works & increasing in knowledge of God. Strengthened with all power, endurance and patience with joy.
- Pray for ill and afflicted.
- Pray on behalf of all men.
- Our Father, who is in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, for give us our debts as we forgive those who have sinned against us, lead us not into temptation, deliver us from evil.
- Pray (1162) people may be saved.
- Pray to raise dead “Get up.”
- Pray to remove spirits.
- Pray for sick, and healing.
- Thank (1162) God.
- Pray (2172) that contriving thought and purpose in hearts be removed, disregarded, and forgiven.
- Pray (2172) the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
So there you have it, who, what, and why to pray. Hope this will help you figure out your prayer life during these unusual times we are walking through.
Scriptures to look at:
- 1 John 5
- 1 Thes 1
- 1 Tim 4
- 2 Cor 1, 12, 13
- 2 The 1
- Act 1, 14
- Col 1, 4
- Eph 1, 6
- James 5
- John 16
- Luk 6, 22
- Mar 9, 11,14
- Mat 5, 24, 26
- Php 4
- Rom 1