- Working on the system to make sure it does what it is supposed to.
- Making sure the people who sell guns are doing what they are supposed to.
- Hiring more people to make sure the people who are trying to do something they aren’t supposed to, aren’t able to.
Bottom line: $$$$ to hire 230 more people to make sure everything is working the way its supposed to and improve a very vital system that should ALREADY be a priority.
Commentary: We use background checks to determine who is safe to watch our children. If it is failing to keep guns out of the wrong hands … Think about that.
- Ordering people and departments to do a better job at the job they are supposed to already be doing.
- Doing a better job at tracking things they already should be tracking.
- Making sure people are obeying laws they already should be.
Bottom Line: $4 million and over 200 more people to help those who aren’t doing what they already should be doing do it better.
Commentary: I’m sure there are some people doing a VERY good job at what they should be doing. Maybe hiring more of those kinds of people would be helpful, you think?
- Increasing access to Mental Health care.
- Increasing the reporting of those people to the people listing under Background checks above.
- Decreasing the legal barriers which do not allow the previous.
Bottom line: $500 million to give people access to help that they need, which can now be reported and used to keep them from doing something they shouldn’t.
Commentary: I have to say part of this could be effective because if we address the people issue, there wouldn’t be a gun issue. Maybe instead of hiring the 400+ people in the two items above, we should hire them here?
- Ordering government offices to learn more and how to use smart technology (like we use on our phones and computers) on a gun.
Bottom line: Just read it again.
Commentary: Why don’t they just talk to someone in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines? I’m sure they could benefit from this as well – no? Do you think they might already be doing this? Duh??
New Actions by the Federal Government: Keeping Guns Out of the Wrong Hands Through Background Checks, Making Our Communities Safer from Gun Violence, Increase Mental Health Treatment and Reporting to the Background Check System, Shaping the Future of Gun Safety Technology